Last week, I think that I mentioned the fact that I was looking forward to watching the tenth anniversary airing of one of my favorite old movies, "High School Musical." It played on Disney Channel this past Wednesday, celebrating the milestone that seems too big to have occurred already. Well today, I finally had the opportunity to watch the movie after taping it the other day, and I felt very nostalgic as I watched.
Here's a look into the life of Taylor Faith Krigsman back in January 2006...
- I had just turned twelve years old two months earlier
- I was right in the middle of my middle school career as a 7th grader
- I was involved in chorus, band, and drama club. The following year would be my last as a percussionist. This was the year that I played the part of a munchkin in our school's production of "The Wizard of Oz" (remember the Lullaby League?).
- I only had three siblings; my brother was ten, my sister was seven, and my little brother was two (he had come to live with us the previous May).
- I had no control over my hair (as seen in the picture to the right... okay, so that picture is actually from a few months later, but I was still twelve there.
- I hadn't gotten braces yet (wouldn't have that done until senior year of high school), so my teeth looked like a shark's teeth; I had rows upon rows of teeth jammed into my mouth. It was crazy!
- I spent the majority of my time at school dances in the girls' bathroom, talking with my friends about who we wished would ask us to dance, instead of actually dancing.
- I was obsessed with "High School Musical" and other Disney shows & movies, of course. At the time, though, I never would have imagined that I would work for Disney just ten years in the future.
- I actually enjoyed gym class, because I had some great friends to spend the time with and the teachers were nice. Just two years later, upon entering high school gym for the first time, I would learn to hate it. Those 45-minute-long warm-ups killed you in my high school!
- I wrote the first book that actually got me interested in pursuing writing as a career. I didn't take it very seriously then, but I loved working on this book in my English class and was thrilled with the way my creativity worked.
- I was obsessed with using Myspace (remember that?!) because I had only been allowed to make an account a few months earlier. Talk about a throwback, right?
Alright, that's about all I can think of right now. My life was definitely different back then... I think that my life has changed, and I've grown a lot, over the past ten years. It's incredible that so much time has passed since middle school! I still don't feel like a grown up, but realizing how much has happened in the past decade makes me realize just how old I am. It's pretty weird to think about.
What were you doing ten years ago? Was anything important happening in your life?
Thank you so much for your continued support! I look forward to sharing more stories about my experience with foster care, and hopefully hearing from readers who have questions or similar stories to share. I'm always willing to answer questions and hear about other experiences! Please don't forget to like and share my Facebook author page as well!
I’d greatly appreciate it if you would share this blog with friends and family through your favorite social media sites. If you’re sharing on Twitter, don’t forget to tag me (@TayTayK02) and use the hashtag #TaylorTalks.